Finnish national and international StarT Gala
The StarT Gala is a memorable award ceremony organized on Tuesday 23rd of May at 13:00–17:00, at the Great Hall of the University of Helsinki Main Building. The Gala is partly in Finnish, partly in Swedish, and partly in English. English speakers will be able to follow the programme.
In honor of Finland’s centenary the LUMA Centre Finland together with its cooperation partners has launched a new StarT model that supports the implementation of integrative project-based learning in schools, kindergartens, and extracurricular activity groups. In StarT students learn together and from each other by carrying out and sharing their phenomenon-based projects.
The sharing of projects and learning from each other culminates in the StarT Gala 2017. The Gala is a celebration of the success of both Finnish national and international StarT activities in the current academic year. The teams of children and youngsters will be awarded for their projects, and learning communities will be awarded for their good practices in the implementation of interdisciplinary phenomenon-based learning.
A live stream of the gala will also be available online, and participation and receiving awards will also be possible through live video calls.
The programme of the gala will include at least the following:
- Video greeting by the Finnish Minister of Education and Culture, Mrs. Sanni Grahn-Laasonen
- Ceremony for the International LUMA StarT Awards for three teams of children or youngsters and for three representatives of good practices by learning communities, from all over the world (Permanent Secretary Anita Lehikoinen, Finnish Ministry of Education and Culture)
- Ceremony for awarding the country in the world that has been most active in carrying out StarT
- Ceremony for awarding other invited teams of children or youngsters
- StarT Panel Discussion about study and career opportunities within mathematics, science and technology fields and the general workplace skills