Online course on project-based learning
As a part of StarT-programme LUMA Centre Finland offers you a free online training on project-based learning! Below you can find more information on our international course.
Project-based learning and the theory behind it – create your own project!
This course is designed to support the participants in the creation of a project-based unit that is in line with science education research, and you will learn about the essential features of project-based learning.
The course will begin on the 26th of October 2020 and it takes 4-5 weeks to complete. Registration to the course opens in the beginning of October.
- During this course the participants will design an interdisciplinary project-based unit that is in line with science education research. You can also participate in the course with a ready project idea and use the course to shape it.
- The participants will learn about the key features of good quality project-based learning and the theory of integrated and inquiry based learning from the researchers of the University of Helsinki.
- The course is suitable for everyone wanting to learn about these topics, and it has a special emphasis on the most popular StarT theme “Nature and environment” e.g. through examples.
- New topics are introduced weekly, and the learning materials include e.g. reading, discussions, tests and video lectures. Weekly exercises (with weekly deadlines) support the designing of the project-based unit. Exercises include e.g. questionnaires, conversations with the other participants on the course platform and providing (and receiving) peer feedback.
- A certificate will be given to those who complete the course.
- The project “recipes” created during the course will be shared with all the participants.
- The participants will also have a chance to network, and to include cooperation with the other course participants within their projects if they wish to do so.
- The course is worth one credit (27h of work), divided across 4-5 weeks.
The course will cover the following topics:
- What is project-based learning?
- Driving questions and learning goals
- Inquiry and scientific practices in project-based learning
- Interdisciplinary learning in project-based learning
- Collaboration in project-based learning
- Artefacts and assessment in project-based learning
- Using technology in project-based learning
- Your project plan & peer assessment
- Participating in StarT
To join the course, create an account for the platform. After having done that, you can find the course from the course catalogue and add yourself to the course.