StarT online courses
NEW IN START: Online training for teachers on project-based learning!
The signing up for the course “Project-based learning and the theory behind it – create your own project!” is open only until the 18th of November 2018.
Below you can find the most up-to-date information on our international courses.
Project-based learning and the theory behind it – create your own project!
This course is designed to support the participants in the creation of a project-based unit that is in line with science education research, and you will learn about the essential features of project-based learning.
The course will begin on the 19th of November 2018 and it takes 4-5 weeks to complete. Sign up for the course by the 18th of November 2018!
- During this course the participants will design an interdisciplinary project-based unit that is in line with science education research. You can also participate in the course with a ready project idea and use the course to shape it.
- The participants will learn about the key features of quality project-based learning and the theory of integrated and inquiry based learning from the researchers of the University of Helsinki.
- The course is suitable for everyone wanting to learn about these topics, and it has a special emphasis on the most popular StarT theme “Nature and environment” e.g. through examples.
- New topics are introduced weekly, and the learning materials include e.g. reading, video lectures and a webinar. Weekly exercises (with weekly deadlines) support the designing of the project-based unit. Exercises include e.g. questionnaires, conversations with the other participants on the course platform and providing (and receiving) peer feedback.
- A certificate will be given to those who complete the course.
- The project recipes created during the course will be shared with all the participants.
- The participants will also have a chance to network, and to include cooperation with the other course participants within their projects if they wish to do so.
- The course is worth one credit (27h of work), divided across 4-5 weeks.
- The course will begin on the 19th of November 2018.
- Signing up is open until the 18th of Novermber 2018. The course has a service fee of 39 euros (incl. VAT).
The course will cover the following topics:
- What is project-based learning?
- Driving questions and learning goals
- Inquiry and scientific practices in project-based learning
- Interdisciplinary learning in project-based learning
- Collaboration in project-based learning
- Artefacts and assessment in project-based learning
- Using technology in project-based learning
- Your project plan & peer assessment
- Participating in StarT
To join the course, sign up and pay the service fee through the online form above. You will receive a confirmation email confirming your place on the course.
Introduction to project-based learning through StarT
This course will take you briefly through the basics of project-based learning through the Finnish education initiative, StarT. The course will prepare you to carry out StarT projects in your teaching and provide you with materials.
The course will give you a brief overlook on project-based learning as a teaching method, and show you how the StarT model supports you in carrying out project-based learning that is exciting and interesting for learners. This course also gives you a chance to network and exchange ideas with other teachers from around the world!
The completion of the course is estimated to be approximately 4 hours, and it is entirely self-paced and open all the time (until June 2018). You will receive a certificate after completing the course. The tasks on the course include reading, watching videos, conversations with the other participants and short questionnaires. The course is intended as a brief introduction to project-based learning and StarT. To deepen your knowledge about project-based learning we recommend the second StarT online course, “Project-based learning and the theory behind it – create your own project!”.
To join the course, create an account for the platform. After having done that, you can find the course from the course catalogue and add yourself to the course.