The International LUMA StarT Award nominees have been chosen ‒ get inspired by the top-quality science, technology and mathematics projects and educational practices from all around the world!
The LUMA Centre Finland is proud to share the top ten best educational practices and projects carried out in learning communities across the world in 2019‒2020. The videos of these twenty nominees introduce educational practices worth noting and present inspiring ideas for carrying out interdisciplinary project-based learning in schools and kindergartens. Have a look and let the videos of the top contestants of StarT inspire you!
You could see the effort teachers had put in to the projects and to the best practices. It was also amazing to see the innovations by students that were emerged from everyday life.A Memember of StarT jury
The best projects and best educational practices will be awarded
The International LUMA StarT Awards will be awarded for the fourth time at StarT Gala on 4th of June. Gala will be organized online this year.
There are 10 nominees in each group:
1. Projects by student teams
2. Best educational practices by learning communities
In StarT learning communities from all around the world share their interdisciplinary science, technology or mathematics related projects and educational practices with us, and we at StarT share them with the rest of the world. This year over 600 learning communities shared their projects and practices from ca 40 countries. The StarT jury has now decided the final 20 contestants continuing to compete for the International LUMA StarT Awards.
We got to see amazing and well executed projects and best practices. There were a lot of amazing projects and practices that would have deserved to get among the nominees. Therefore the task was not easy to the StarT jury.A member of StarT jury
The International LUMA StarT Education Award nominees 2020 (best practice nominees):
- “Air, Water & Land Pollution”, Children of Sarajevo – Kindergarten “Dunje”, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- “Ihmeellinen ihminen – opitaan yhdessä yhteistyö”, Esiopetus Taipalsaari Kirkonkylän koulu ja LAB ammattikorkeakoulu, Finland
- “Where will we use it”, NUN Schools Istanbul, Turkey
- “Pi & STEM. Famous number Pi, we found it everywhere!”, School: “Zhani Ciko”, Albania
- “Yhteistyöprojekti Matkalla Marsiin 2020”, Pikkolan koulu, Finland
- “Beyond the water!” Scientific association “Aghi Magnetici”, Italy
- “21st Century Child”, Ecole Sidi Abdelkrim, Morocco
- ” „ECO-FRIENDLY HOUSE WORKSHOP“ ” , Radviliškis Gražina Basic School, Lithuania
- “A Yangtze Story”,The Yangtze River Cultural Research Community, China
- “Integration of Engineering Design in Teaching STEM “, Al Omareyah School, Jordan
The International LUMA StarT Education Award 2020 nominee videos
The International LUMA StarT Award nominees 2020 (project nominees):
- “Vamos salvar o mar!” – “Let´s save the ocean!”, Colégio Valsassina, Portugal
- “LUMI-SNOW”, Päiväkoti Piilometsä, Finland
- “Comparison of water quality of the Chimehuín river with that of nearby puddles with mosquitoes”, Club de Ciencias Huechulafquen, Argentina
- “EcoBiesel”, Agrupamento de Escolas de Alcanena, Portugal
- “An Action Plan to Save the Moldy Books in Yunhai School Library”, Yantian Yunhai School, China
- “Alternative Solar Energy”, Primarschule Atelier Zwillikon, Switzerland
- “Food Miles and Climate Change”, COLE International Schools / Primary School, Austria
- “IS 1°C A LOT OR NOT?”, Siaures licejus / Northern lyceum, Lithuania
- “PIP.01”, Alyadodah Secondary School For Boys, Jordan
- Clean environment-clean water and healthy food-happy life”, Kindergardner Dječji vrtići Mostar-Mrvica, Bosnia and Herzegovina
The International LUMA StarT Award 2020 nominee videos
Offical recognition of exellence
Due to the high quality of the projects and practices. The jury wanted to give recognition also to these projects and best practices. First time in StarT history we want to give Offical recognition of exellence to projects and practices. These earn the visibility and this honorable mention.
- “SnakeBot”, Tampereen lyseon lukio, Finland
- “Keyzy”, Shaping Your Future (IMR & I-Form), Ireland
- “Machine Learning to Detect Forest Fires”, FISTA, Finland
- “Low Energy House”, Primarschule Atelier Zwillikon, Switzerland
- “Safety improvement of amusement device in Yi Haicheng-”protective shield” of the swing”, Project-based learning group of “Xing Si” School, China
- LEARNING THROUGH COLLABORATIVE STORYTELLING VIOLET, THE STORY OF A BUTTERFLY, “an ambassador of sustainability”, Colegoi Valsassina, Portugal
- “Yksilöllinen mobiilioppiminen”, Paraistenseudun koulu, Finland
- “Interactive means and information technology in the service of inclusive education”, Riad, Morocco
Remember: registering as a learning community for the StarT 2020–2021 starts in May!
StarT is organized annually, and we invite all learning communities from daycares to upper secondary schools and extracurricular activity groups to share their best educational practices and projects related to science with us! Registering for the StarT 2020–2021 starts in May, and you can find more information here.
Registering does not bind you to anything, but instead you will receive additional support and inspiration for carrying out exciting interdisciplinary project-based learning in your learning community. Welcome along, everyone!